Veal and Bacon Meat Pie
This quintessential French Canadian recipe features lean Ontario veal and turkey bacon, which is flavoured with herbs and warm spices. Though it is typically served at holiday time, it is perfect anytime you are looking for a home-style meal.
Write a review
1 hr 45 min
1 hr 45 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 226
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 25g
Saturated Fat 7g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrates 31g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 5 slices Ontario turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 1/4 lb (625 g) lean ground Ontario veal
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Yukon Gold or Russet potato, peeled and grated, (about 6 oz/180 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- Pinch cloves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 1 egg
- 1 pkg (400 g) refrigerated rolled pie crust (2 – 9-inch crusts)
- Dijon or grainy mustard, for serving
- Pickles, for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook bacon for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden and crisp. Increase heat to medium-high. Crumble in ground veal. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in mushrooms, onion, potato, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves. Cook stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- Stir in tomato paste. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in wine and broth. Cook, stirring for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is dry. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Whisk egg with 1 tsp (5 mL) water.
- Unroll pie crusts. Fit one pie crust into a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate.
- Spoon in filling. Brush edges with egg wash. Top with second pie crust and press edges to seal. Trim and flute edge. Brush pie crust with prepared egg wash. Cut three steam vents in the top of the pie.
- Bake in bottom third of the oven for 1 hour or until pastry is golden brown and filling is steaming hot. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with mustard and pickles.
- If you prefer use your favourite homemade pie dough make a little extra. The scrapes can be cut into shapes like maple leaves to decorate the top of the pie.
- Per Serving: Calories 453, Fat 17.5 grams, Cholesterol 88 mg, Sodium 571 mg, Carbohydrates 19.5 grams, Fibre 1 grams, Sugar 3.5 grams, Protein 23 grams.
Carptor - Your Path To Local Foods http://www.carptor.com/