Turkey Breast with Spinach & Bacon Stuffing
Lean turkey breast is stuffed with a savoury bacon stuffing and finished with a pan sauce. This makes an impressive dish for company or when treating yourself.
Write a review
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 154
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 17g
Saturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 15g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Spinach and Bacon Stuffing
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 slices Ontario bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 6 cups (1.25 L) baby spinach
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) fresh breadcrumbs, lightly toasted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 boneless skin-on Ontario turkey breast (750 to 900 g)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) vermouth or white wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- Heat half the oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Cook bacon for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden. Add garlic, onion, and sage. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Add vermouth and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until no liquid remains. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining oil. Add spinach, cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted. Remove spinach; squeeze out any excess liquid. Roughly chop.
- Add spinach, breadcrumbs, lemon zest and egg yolk to bacon mixture. Stir until well combined, and season with pepper.
- Turkey Breast: Using sharp knife, cut turkey breast horizontally within 1-inch (2.5 cm) of opposite side so that it opens like a book. Cover with plastic wrap and using a mallet, flatten to ½-inch (1 cm) thickness. Season all over with half each salt and pepper.
- Spread stuffing on turkey breast leaving a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border. Starting with skinless side, roll up. Secure with butcher’s twine, and season outside turkey with remaining salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400°F oven. Heat oil and half the butter in large skillet set over medium-high heat. Sear turkey breast for 10 to 12 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to roasting pan. Roast for 45 to 50 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Transfer to cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Set roasting pan over medium heat. Add vermouth, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in broth and reduce by half. Remove from heat and stir in remaining butter. Slice turkey and serve with pan sauce.
- While rolling up the turkey breast, keep pushing any stuffing that pops out the sides back into the centre. Keep quite a bit of tension on the twine when tying up the roast with butcher’s twine.
- Per Serving: Calories 625, Fat 29 grams, Cholesterol 230 mg, Sodium 674 mg, Carbohydrates 13 grams, Fibre 2 grams, Sugar 3 grams, Protein 29 grams.
Carptor - Your Path To Local Foods http://www.carptor.com/