Stuffed Flank Steak with Blue Cheese and Bacon
This sophisticated pairing of blue cheese, arugula and bacon adds elegance and enhances the beefy flavour of the flank steak.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 195
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 22g
Saturated Fat 9g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 2g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 lb (1 kg) Ontario flank steak
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 slices Ontario bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) arugula
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) seasoned croutons, crushed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Set the flank steak on a large cutting board. Butterfly the steak lengthwise, so it opens like a book. Pound with a meat mallet so the steak is even, about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- In skillet over medium heat fry bacon, garlic and shallots for 7 to 8 minutes, until bacon is rendered and vegetables are tender. Remove from pan. Add arugula to pan and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and press to release an excess liquid. Combine with bacon mixture.
- Spread bacon mixture over steak, leaving a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border. Top with parsley and crumbled blue cheese and crushed croutons. Tightly roll steak lengthwise into a log, tucking in the edges as you roll to enclose the filling. Secure with butcher’s twine. Brush the outside with oil.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Sear steak for about 4 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Transfer to oven. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until medium-rare to medium. Remove from oven and tent for 10 minutes. Slice crosswise into 1/2-thick (1 cm) slices.
- Switch up the arugula for baby spinach, if you prefer.
- Per Serving: Calories 258, Fat 15 grams, Cholesterol 73 mg, Sodium 467 mg, Carbohydrates 6.5 grams, Fibre 0.5 grams, Sugar 2 grams, Protein 28 grams.
Carptor - Your Path To Local Foods http://www.carptor.com/