Slow Cooker Curry Beef
Enjoy the flavours of a slow simmered Thai curry without all the hassle. Slow cookers are a great way to enjoy meals without added stress and work.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 249
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 29g
Saturated Fat 16g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrates 62g
Dietary Fiber 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 ½ lb (750 g) boneless cubed Ontario stewing beef
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) prepared Thai green curry paste
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fish sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) coconut milk
- ½ lb (250 g) snow peas
- 2 cups (500 mL) uncooked basmati rice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) canola oil
- salt, to taste
- ¼ cup (50 mL) toasted sliced almonds (optional), for garnish
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro (optional), for garnish
- In a 5-quart slow cooker toss together the beef, onion, garlic, green curry paste, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, brown sugar, star anise and coconut milk.
- Set slow cooker setting to low and let the curry cook for 8 hours 30 minutes.
- Carefully uncover, remove star anise and stir in snow peas. Cover and cook for 25 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice. Bring a pot filled with 3 ½ cups (825 mL) of water to a boil. Stir in rice, canola oil and pinch of salt. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- To serve, divide rice and curry between bowls. If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro and almonds.
- Calories per serving: 541, Fat 34g, Cholesterol 102mg, Sodium 875mg, Carbohydrates 28g, Fibre 2g, Sugar 7g, Protein 34g.
Carptor - Your Path To Local Foods http://www.carptor.com/