Slow Cooker Ginger Beef and Vegetables
Melt-in-your mouth beef gets an Asian flare from ginger, soy sauce and rich beef stock. This main requires just 10 minutes of active time so you can let the slow cooker do the heavy lifting.
Write a review
10 hr 10 min
10 hr 10 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 86
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 10g
Saturated Fat 4g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrates 46g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 ½ lb (750 g) Ontario flank steak, cut into 2-inch pieces*
- 3 carrots, cut into ½-inch (1 cm) slices
- 3 scallions, white and light green sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) minced garlic
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 ¾ cups (425 mL) low sodium beef stock
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) jasmine rice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) butter
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) frozen snap peas
- In a 5-quart slow cooker add beef, carrots, scallions, onion, garlic, ginger, beef stock and soy sauce; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 9 hours.
- Turn slow cooker setting to high heat. Carefully uncover and stir in cornstarch mixture and peppers. Cover and cook for 20 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) of water to a boil. Stir in rice, butter and salt. Cover and cook over low heat for 15-18 minutes until water is absorbed. Turn off heat, let stand for 10 minutes and fluff with a fork.
- Add snap peas to slow cooker for 1 minute. To serve, divide rice between bowls and top with a ladle of gingered beef and vegetable stew.
- Ask your local butcher to cut the flank steak into pieces for you to save on prep time.
- Calories per serving: 421, Fat 17g, Cholesterol 74mg, Sodium 684mg, Carbohydrates 26g, Fibre 4g, Sugar 2.7g, Protein 29g
Carptor - Your Path To Local Foods http://www.carptor.com/