Grilled Steak and Mushroom Salad
Flank steak is an economical cut that is tender and tasty when grilled to medium-rare and cut across the grain. Paired with grilled mushrooms and onions and a spinach salad drizzled with a light vinaigrette, this recipe is perfect for summer dining al fresco.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 132
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 4g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 4g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario flank steak
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and fresh cracked pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grainy Dijon, divided
- 4 cups (1 L) mixed mushrooms
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) maple syrup or honey
- 6 cups (1.5 L) baby spinach leaves
- Season steak on both sides with half of the salt and pepper and drizzle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil and mustard. Set aside while heating grill to medium high.
- Toss mushrooms and onion with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil and season with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of the salt and pepper. Transfer to a grilling basket and place on grill over direct heat. Grill until mushrooms are tender and golden and onions start to caramelize; about 15 minutes.
- Grill steak over direct heat until medium rare, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board. Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing across the grain.
- In large bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, maple syrup and remaining mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss with spinach. Divide over 4 plates and top with mushroom mixture and then steak.
- This recipe works well with any grilling steak.
- PER SERVING: about 240 cal, 19 g pro, 14 g total fat (3 g sat fat), 9 g carb, 3 g fibre, 25 mg chol, 510 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 15%, calcium 4%, vit A 20%, vit C 6%
Carptor - Your Path To Local Foods http://www.carptor.com/