Frisee Salad with Bacon and Poached Egg
This classic French salad uses thick cut bacon to make lardons, which are crunchy morsels that accent the crisp lettuce and protein-rich poached egg.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 220
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 25g
Saturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrates 12g
Dietary Fiber 9g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 6 oz (175 g) thick cut Ontario bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches frisée, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sliced radishes
- 4 poached eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh chives
- Cook bacon in skillet over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes, until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp. Remove bacon and let drain on paper towel.
- Drain fat, keeping 2 tsp (10 mL) bacon fat in pan.
- Add shallots to pan and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Add honey. Remove from heat. Whisk in mustard, salt, pepper, vinegar and olive oil.
- Toss dressing with frisée, Boston lettuce and radishes. Divide among 4 plates. Top each with a poached egg and sprinkle with chives.
- • To poach an egg: Crack an egg into a small dish. Slip eggs into a skillet of simmering water mixed with 1 tbsp (15 mL) vinegar. Cook until white is set and yolk is cooked to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove to paper towel-lined plate with slotted spoon.
- Per Serving: Calories 278, Fat 22.5 grams, Cholesterol 211 mg, Sodium 716 mg, Carbohydrates 3 grams, Fibre 0 grams, Sugar 2 grams, Protein 17 grams.
Carptor - Your Path To Local Foods http://www.carptor.com/