Cheesy Bacon and Quinoa Fritters
A simple dinner that combines the protein-rich nutrients of quinoa with the delicious smoky flavour of bacon.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 197
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 22g
Saturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrates 60g
Dietary Fiber 6g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 6 strips Ontario thick cut bacon, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked quinoa
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) finely shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced red onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp olive oil and bacon. Cook until bacon is almost crisp, 8 minutes. Save bacon fat. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
- In a mixing bowl combine bacon, quinoa, cheese, flour, red onion and egg. Shape into 8 evenly sides cakes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for 20 minutes until firm.
- To cook, remove all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) bacon fat from the skillet. Cook fritters in batches until golden on both sides, 4 minutes per side. Serve warm alongside a green salad.
Quinoa Cooking 101
- 1. Rinse 1 cup quinoa under cold water for 2 minutes.
- 2. Stir quinoa into 2 cups boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until water has absorbed. Turn off heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Calories per serving: 278, Fat 15g, Cholesterol 35.2mg, Sodium 564mg, Carbohydrates 18g, Fibre 1.7g, Sugar 1g, Protein 16g
Carptor - Your Path To Local Foods http://www.carptor.com/