Crispy Buttermilk Baked Chicken
This crispy-coated, moist Ontario chicken is picnic perfect and a healthier alternative to the deep-fried version.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 181
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 20g
Saturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrates 16g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 4 lbs. (2 kg) Ontario chicken parts (drumsticks, wings, thighs)
- 8 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and grease a cooling rack fitted over a rimmed baking sheet.
- In large dish, whisk together buttermilk, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Add chicken, turning to coat while prepping other ingredients.
- In food processor, pulse the bread until it turns to coarse crumbs. Spread into a shallow dish and combine with Parmesan and thyme.
- Working with one piece at a time, remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk, letting any excess drop back into the dish. Dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, turning and pressing gently to coat evenly. Place the breaded pieces on the prepared rack leaving enough space between the pieces so that they can get crisp all over.
- Bake until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 35 minutes.
- Tip: Lighten up this recipe even further by making it with skinless Ontario chicken pieces.
- PER SERVING: about 460 cal, 67 g pro, 16 g total fat (4 g sat fat), 7 g carb, 0 g fibre, 205 mg chol, 550 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 20%, calcium 15%, vit A 2%, vit C 2%
Carptor - Your Path To Local Foods http://www.carptor.com/